The New Jerusalem
(A Glimpse Of The Kingdom Of God)
Key verse: 21:2
“I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband.”
Part l: The Renewal Of All Things (21:1-8)
1. What will God do after his great and final judgment? (1-4; Isa 65:17; 66:22) What is the New Jerusalem? (2-3; 19:7;) Who is part of this holy city?
2. What has been God’s ultimate desire since Adam sinned? (3, Gen 1:26-27; Gen 2:7-8) How does God fulfill this desire? (3; 22:3b-4; Jn1:14,19:30) What is the old order of things? (Gen 3:14-19; 3:23-24) What suffering did this old order bring? What will life like under this new order (4,6)? How is this possible? (6a)
3. What is a main cause of not being able to overcome this world? How are we able to overcome this world? (6b) What is given to those who overcome? Who are those who fail to overcome and what is their destiny? (8)
Part ll: The New Jerusalem (9-27)
4. Who comprised the city and where does the Holy City come from? (10; Heb 12:22-24) What is the foundation of the city? (14; Eph 2:19-21) What does the Holy City look like? (11; 15-21; Ex 28:15-21)
5. Compare the bride in this passage with the bride of Christ in the world. (Matt 5:11-12; Heb 11:38) How would this give hope to Christians suffering in this world?
6. Why was there no temple in the city? (22-24; Lk 23:45; Eph 2:22) Why does the city not need the light of the sun? How will this light provide hope and direction
for the nations? (23) What will they do with their treasures and glory? Why is it not necessary to shut the gates at night? How can we enter this city? (25-27)
Part lll: The River of Life (22:1-6)
7. What is the water of life? (1; 17; Gen 2:10; John 4:7-14; Jn 7:37-38) What is the tree of life? (2; Gen 2:9) What does the tree of life do? (2b) What does this mean?
8. What dictated how we lived our lives in this world? (Gen 3:16-19) What is different in the Kingdom of God? (22:3a) What will we be doing there? (3b-5)
Part lV: “Behold I Am Coming Soon!” (22:7-21)
9. When is Jesus coming? What is one way that we can be blessed? What is the best response to learning of this vision? (7-8) What is keeping us from responding like John? What is the meaning of verses 10-11?
10. What reward does Jesus bring with him when he comes again? (14) How will people be judged? (12; 2 Cor 5:10) What are the deeds that will please Jesus? (14a)
11. Who is Jesus, according to this passage? (21:2b, 13; 16) Think of each aspect? What should be our invitation to the world? (17) What must be our main message? (Mk 1:16) Ultimately, how are we able to come? (21) What should be our prayer? (20b) How serious is God about the words in this Book Of Revelation? (18,19)