WHO IS THE GREATEST
Luke 22:24-38 Key Verse: 22:26
“But you are not to be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves.”
1. Read verse 24. (Review verses 20-23.) Where were Jesus and his disciples? What had he been talking about? Why did they question among themselves? Why did their discussion escalate into a dispute?
2. Read verses 25-27. What is the concept of greatness held by people of the world? What does Jesus teach about greatness? What was Jesus’ example? What are the contrasts in these verses?
3. Read verses 28-30. What is the greatness that Jesus sees in his disciples? What does he promise them? How is greatness in heaven different from greatness on earth?
4. Read verses 31-32. How did Jesus view Simon Peter’s weakness? Why did he need Jesus’ help? How did Jesus help him? What confidence did Jesus have about Simon Peter? What mission did Jesus give him?
5. Read verses 33-34. How did Peter’s view of himself differ from Jesus’ understanding of Peter?
6. Read verses 35-38. What new instructions did Jesus give his disciples? Why? What did his new instructions mean? What did Jesus mean by, “What is written about me is reaching its fulfillment”? When did the disciples understand?
7. Review all of the contrasts in this passage. What should we learn from this passage?