Acts 1:1-26, Key Verse: 1:8
“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
1. Read verses 1-2. What did the author Luke write about in his first book? (Luke's Gospel)
2. Read verse 3. What did Jesus do during the 40 days between his resurrection and his ascension? Why did he want to prove that he was alive? What did he speak about? (Mk 1:15) What does it mean?
3. Read verses 4-6. What was his disciples' idea about the kingdom? What was Jesus' command? (4) What did he promise? Why did they need the Holy Spirit?
4. Read verses 7-8. What did Jesus teach them about God's plans? What is his world mission imperative? What can we learn here about the faith of the Risen Jesus? About his concern for all the people of the world?
5. What does it mean to be a witness? What was involved in being a witness in Jerusalem? In Judea and Samaria? To the ends of the earth? How can we be Jesus' witnesses?
6. Read verses 9-11. What did Jesus do next? Why did he leave them instead of staying to help them? (Jn 15:26,27; 16:7) Why was it necessary for him to return to the Father? How did the disciples react to his ascension? What hope was planted in their hearts?