HE RAN TO HIS SON…
Luke 15:11-32, Key Verse: 15:20b
“…But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.”
1. What did the younger son ask of his father (11-12)? Why was this presumptuous? Why did his father give him what he wanted? What does this teach about God and man? What did the younger son do with his freedom (13)?
2. What happened when a famine struck the land (14)? What shows that the younger son hit rock bottom (15-16)? What did he remember and what did he decide to do (17-20a)?
3. Read verse 20b. How did the father welcome his son? How does this reveal God’s long-suffering patient love?
4. How did the father respond to his son’s repentance (21-22)? How and why did he celebrate (23-24)? What does this teach about God’s restorative love?
5. How did the older brother react to his father, who welcomed his younger brother (25-28a)? Why was he so upset (28b-30)? What did the father say (31-32)? In what sense was the older son also a lost son?