HIGH FIVES IN HEAVEN
Luke 15:1-10 (K. V.: 15:10)
“In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”
1. What kind of people were gathering around Jesus and why (1)? What can we learn about Jesus here? How did the Pharisees and teachers of the law respond (2)? What does this reveal about their view of Jesus and sinners?
2. What parable did Jesus teach and how might it appeal to them (3-6)? Why does the shepherd go after the lost sheep? What does “until he finds it” imply? How did the shepherd express his joy rather than rebuking the sheep?
3. What contrast did Jesus make? For what does God rejoice? What does the parable teach about God’s shepherd’s heart?
4. What second parable did Jesus tell (8-9)? What did the woman do to find her lost coin, and after finding it? What did the coin mean to her? Read verse 10. How does her heart reflect God’s heart?
5. How do these parables explain Jesus welcoming sinners? How should we respond to Jesus’ teaching and others’ repentance?