THE FAITHFUL AND WISE MANAGER
Luke 12:35-53 Key Verse: 12:42
“The Lord answered, ‘Who then is the faithful and wise manager, whom the master puts in charge of his servants to give them their food allowance at the proper time?’”
1. What illustration did Jesus give to help his disciples prepare for his coming (35-36)? What attitude should they have? What surprising response did the master have (37-38; Mt 25:23; Rev 19:9)? How does this help us to be ready for Jesus’ coming again?
2. What further illustration did Jesus give (39)? In what way is this a warning to his disciples? Why must we be ready always (40)?
3. How did Peter respond (41)? Read verse 42. What kind of people did Jesus want his disciples to be? What are the characteristics and duties of the manager? How will the master bless such a servant (43-44)? How can we be faithful and wise managers?
4. What warning did Jesus give regarding those who are unfaithful and not ready for his return (45-46)? What principle did Jesus give about stewardship and accountability (47-48)? Why is this warning necessary to us?
5. Before his second coming, what did Jesus have to do (49-50)? Why did he tell this to his disciples? In what way did Jesus’ coming bring division (51-53)? How does Jesus’ death bring real peace on earth (Eph 2:14)?