JESUS IS LORD OF THE SABBATH
Luke 6:1-11, Key Verse: 6:5
“Then Jesus said to them, ‘The Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath.’”
1. What were Jesus’ disciples doing one Sabbath (1)? In what respect was this so serious to the Pharisees (2)?
2. How did Jesus defend his disciples (3-4)? How does David’s action reveal God’s character in the practice of the law?
3. Read verse 5. What does Jesus’ declaration teach about his identity (Gen 2:2-3; Dt 5:12-15; Mt 5:17)? What did this mean for his disciples? What does it mean to us now (Mt 11:28; Heb 4:9-11)?
4. On another Sabbath, who was present, and why was his problem so serious (6)? How did the religious leaders regard Jesus and this man (7)? How did Jesus begin to help the man and challenge the religious leaders (8-9)?
5. What did Jesus command the man, and why (10a)? What did Jesus reveal about himself through healing the man (10b)? What does the Pharisees’ reaction show about them (11)?