JESUS CAME TO CALL SINNERS
Luke 5:27-39, Key Verse: 5:32
“I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.”
1. After demonstrating his authority to forgive sins, what did Jesus do (27)? What kind of person was Levi? What did Jesus mean when he said, “Follow me”? What does Levi’s immediate response reveal about him (28)?
2. What motivated Levi to hold a great banquet for Jesus (29a)? Why do you think large crowds of tax collectors came (29b)? Why did the Pharisees and teachers of the law complain to Jesus’ disciples (30)?
3. Read verses 31-32. Through a metaphor, what did Jesus teach about himself and his view of sinners? What does it mean for sinners to repent?
4. What issue did “they” bring to Jesus (33)? How did Jesus defend his disciples (34)? When should Jesus’ people fast (35)? What can we learn about the characteristics of life in Jesus?
5. What point did Jesus make by telling two parables (36-38)? What do the “new wine” and “new wineskins” represent? What was the problem of the religious leaders (39)? In what respects should we be like new wineskins?