TO PREACH GOOD NEWS TO THE POOR
Luke 4:14-30, Key Verse: 4:18
“The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, …”
1. Where did Jesus start his ministry (14a,16a)? When Jesus was full of the power of the Spirit, what did he do first (15)? What does “as was his custom” imply (16)? Why did Jesus choose to read Isaiah 61:1-2 (17)?
2. Read verse 18. What do the words “the Spirit of the Lord is on me” mean? What is the good news that Jesus proclaimed (Lk 2:10-11)? To whom did he proclaim it?
3. What is the good news for prisoners, the blind, and the oppressed (Jn 8:34,36; Lk 13:16; Heb 2:14-15)? What is “the year of the Lord’s favor” (Lev 25:8-12,17)? How does the good news renew people personally and a society?
4. How was Isaiah’s prophecy fulfilled by Jesus (20-21)? What did Jesus want them to realize and why? How did they respond (22)?
5. How did Jesus understand their rejection (23-24)? In what ways did Jesus challenge them based on what God had done through Elijah and Elisha (25-27)? Why did the people become so furious (28-30)?