REPORT WHAT YOU HAVE SEEN AND HEARD
Key Verses: 7:22
“So he replied to the messengers, ‘Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor.’”
1. What do “all these things” refer to (18)? Where was John (3:20; Mt 11:2)? Why did John send his disciples to Jesus (19-20; 3:16-17)?
2. What did Jesus do (21)? Read verse 22. How does Jesus’ reply reveal that he is “the one to come” (4:18; Isa 35:5,6)? How would reporting this help John’s disciples and John? Who is blessed and who might stumble on account of Jesus (23; 1Pe 2:6-8)?
3. Who did Jesus turn his attention to (24a)? How did Jesus describe who John was not, and who he was (24b-26)? How did John’s identity and ministry fulfill prophecy (27; Mal 3:1)?
4. In what sense was John so great, and who is greater than he (28)? What difference did it make to be baptized by John and how did this affect one’s attitude toward Jesus (29-30)?
5. How did Jesus describe the people of his generation (31-32)? How did people generally criticize John and Jesus (33-34)? Who are the children of wisdom, and what do they prove (35)?