DELIVERANCE WILL ARISE
Esther 3:1-4:17, Key Verse 4:14
“For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father’s family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?”
1. Read 3:1-4. How did King Xerxes honor Haman? Why did Mordecai refuse to bow down to Haman? (1 Sa 15:2-3, 32-34; Dt 25:17-19) What would you do if you are in such a situation?
2. Read 3:5-17. How furious was Haman when he saw Mordecai’s refusal to honor him? What was his plan to do about Mordecai? Why did King Xerxes take Haman’s advice? How did the people of Israel live differently? (Rom 12:2)
3. Read 4:1-4. What did Mordecai do when he heard Haman’s plan to kill the Jews? How did Esther try to comfort Mordecai? Why did he refused to be comforted?
4. Read 5-8. What did Esther try to find Mordecai’s main issue? How did Mordecai explain the details of Haman’s plot to Esther? What did Mordecai asked Esther to do?
5. Read 4:9-14. What was Esther’s initial response? How did he encourage her to see her situation in God’s sovereign plan? What was Esther’s final decision? What can we learn from Mordecai and from Esther?