THE PEOPLE’S SIN AND MOSES’ INTERCESSION
Exodus 32:1-34:35, Key Verse: 34:6
“And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, ‘The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness…’”
1. Read 32:1-6. What happened while Moses was on the mountain for 40 days? (24:18) Why did the people want to have an idol and to worship it with sinful revelry? Why did Aaron give in to their demand?
2. Read 32:7-14. How did God describe this event to Moses? What did he propose to do? How did Moses respond to this? On what basis did Moses plead with God to relent? What does this show about Moses? How did God respond?
3. Read 32:15-29. How did Joshua misunderstand what was happening? When Moses saw the people’s sin for himself, how did he react? Why did Aaron make such a weak excuse? Why did Moses bless the Levites for carrying out a severe punishment?
4. Read 32:30-35. What was Moses’ goal in going back up the mountain? What did he ask God to do in his second prayer? What does this show about Moses? What did God teach Moses? Read 33:1-6. What did the people hear God say, and how did this lead them to repentance?
5. Look at 33:7-23. How is the closeness of Moses’ relationship with God described? What did Moses ask God to do for Israel? What did he ask for himself (13, 18)? Why did he ask for these things? How did God answer Moses’ request?
6. Review Chapter 34. What did God do to symbolize the restoration of the covenant with Israel? How did he describe himself to Moses? What does Moses’ glowing face represent? Have you experienced how a great struggle can result in knowing God more deeply?