THE BLOOD OF THE COVENANT
Exodus 23:20-24:18, Key Verse: 24:8
(Read only Chapter 24)
“Moses then took the blood, sprinkled it on the people and said, ‘This is the blood of the covenant that the Lord has made with you in accordance with all these words.’”
1. Read verses 23:20-33. What would God do for His people (20-23, 25b-31)? What should the people of God be careful when they are in the Promised Land (24-25a, 32-33)?
2. Read verses 24:1-3 and 24:7. How did the Israelites respond to Moses when he told them all the Lord’s words and laws (1-3)? How did they also respond to Moses when he read the Book of Covenant to them (7)? How could they respond to Moses in such a way?
3. Read verses 24:4-5. What did Moses do after hearing their response (4a)? What significance does it have to build an altar and set up twelve stone pillars (4b)? What else Moses do more to establish the covenant relationship between God and His people (5)?
4. Read verses 24:6 and 24:8. Why did Moses splash blood against the altar (6) and on the people (8)? What does it mean by the blood of the covenant that God has made with us? What does this covenant foreshadow (Jer 31:31-34; Lk 22:20)?
5. Read verses 24:9-18. What significance would there be for the people of God to see Him, eat and drink with Him (9-11)? Why did God call Moses to Him on the mountain (12)? Describe how Moses went up to the mountain to meet God (13-18).