THE LAWS OF GOD
Exodus 21:1-23:33, Key Verse: 23:13
“Be careful to do everything I have said to you. Do not invoke the names of other gods; do not let them be heard on your lips.”
1. How are these chapters related to Sinai Covenant and the Ten Commandments? What are the laws concerning Hebrew servants? (21:1-11) What is stressed? What do these laws teach us?
2. Which crimes had the death penalty as punishment? (21:12-17) What are the penalties for injuries from beating or fighting? (21:18-27) For injuries to animals and caused by animals? (21:28-36) How should we interpret the saying “eye for eye and tooth for tooth” in this context? (Mt 5:38-39)
3. What is written about stealing? How is self-defense permitted and what are its limits? (22:1-4) What is written about the loss of property and cases of illegal possession? (22:5-15)
4. What do the laws regarding relationships teach about social responsibility (22:16-27)? What are some ways that our relationships with people affect our relationship with God? (22:27-31)
5. Which of the Ten Commandments does 23:1-3 seem to expand on? How do the laws in 23:4-9 show that practicing justice and mercy includes both positive and negative obligations? What was the purpose of having a Sabbath year in agriculture? (23:11-13)
6. What holidays did God require Israel to celebrate and what is their significance? (23:14-19) How would God lead his people to and in the Promised Land? (23:20-33) What does God expect from his people?