THE CROSSING THE RED SEA
(From Crisis to Triumph)
Exodus 13:17-14:31, Key Verse: 14:13
“Moses answered the people, ‘Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again.’”
1. Read verses 13:17-22. What was God’s reason for directing the Israelites toward the Red Sea (17-18)? Of what possible benefit are God’s detours in our lives? How did God supernaturally use fire and clouds to lead the Israelites (20-22)?
2. Read 14:1-4. What plan does God reveal to Moses? What is God’s ultimate purpose (cf. 7:5)? How do you think Moses felt when God gave him specific direction?
3. Read verses 5-12. How did Pharaoh react when he was told that the Israelites left (5-9)? How did Israelites react to the onslaught of the Egyptians, and why (10-12)? What did this test reveal about their hearts?
4. Read verses 13-20. Compare each part of Moses’ commands (13-14) with the Israelites’ conditions and attitude (10-12)? What did God’s plan for escape require of Moses and the people (15-18)? Who was used to protect the Israelites (19-20)?
5. Read verses 21-31. What miraculous events took place at the Red Sea? Think about times when you have felt like Israel, trapped between the Egyptians and the Red Sea. What did you do and why?
6. How can this passage help you overcome fears in following God, now or in the future?