GOD MADE ISRAELITES SLAVES BUT BLESSED
Key Verse: 1:7
“…but the Israelites were fruitful and multiplied greatly and became exceedingly numerous, so that the land was filled with them.”
1. Read verses 1-5. Why was Joseph already in Egypt? (See Ge 45:4-5) Why did Jacob and his family immigrate to Egypt? (See Ge 46:1-7) How did they live under Joseph’s protection in Egypt? (Ge 47:11)
2. Read verses 6-7 How did God bless the Israelites in Egypt? Why? (Ge 13:15-17; 15:13-16) Why did God send the descendants of Abraham to Egypt?
3. Read verses 8-10. What happened that changed the situation of the Israelites in Egypt? What was the problem that arose in the mind of the new king?
4. Read verses 11-14. How did the new king try to make the numerous Israelites benefit Egypt economically and, at the same time, try to control the population? Why did this fail?
5. Read verses 15-22. When the Israelite population continued to increase, what measures did the king take to break their strength and reduce their numbers? Why did God bless the midwives?
6. What was the king’s edict? What can we learn in this chapter about godless people and a godless society?