THE HOLY SPIRIT AND DISCIPLESHIP
Passage: John 14:15-27
Key verse: John 14:16-17
“And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.”
1. Who is the Holy Spirit (Ge 1:2; 2Co 3:17, 13:14)? What is His relationship to God the Father and God the Son (Mt 3:16; Jn 15:26)? Where does the Holy Spirit live (Jn 14:17)?
2. How was the gift of the Holy Spirit promised in the scriptures (Isa 66:1-2; Joel 2:28-29; Mt 3:11; Jn 1:33)? How did the Holy Spirit come at Pentecost (Ac 1:14, 2:1-4)?
3. What is the Holy Spirit’s role in salvation (Jn 16:8-11, Ac 2:37)? How can we know that the Holy Spirit dwells in us (Ac 2:38; 1Co 12:3)?
4. What is the Holy Spirit’s role the life of a disciple (Jn 14:26, 16:15)? Consider the Spirit’s work in giving life (Ro 8:2, 11), empowering (Ac 1:8, 4:31), revealing (Jn 16:13), sanctifying (1Pe 1:2), and unifying (Ac 2:44-47).
5. How are we called to work together with the Holy Spirit in making disciples (Jn 15:26-27, Mt 28:19)? Compare the work of human agents with the work of the Spirit (1Th 5:19). How can we make sure the Holy Spirit is leading in making disciples?