FOLLOW ME II: “FOLLOWING JESUS”
Luke 9:21-23, Key verse: 9:23
“Then he said to them all, ‘Whoever wants to be my disciples must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.’”
1. What and why did Jesus tell his disciples not to tell to anyone? (21) What did Jesus predict about his future? Why? (22)
2. 23a. To whom did Jesus tell? What did God ask the people of Israel deny? (Lev 16:31; Mt 11:28-29) As a disciple, what must they deny themselves; old life, flesh desires or the pattern of this world? (Eph 2:3; Ro 6:6, 20-22, 8:5, 12:2; 1Pe 2:11, 5:8)
3. 23b. What is the cross a disciple must carry? (1 Pe 2:21; 5:2, 10) What are our responsibilities you have to carry and the crosses Jesus has given you to carry daily? (1 Co 12:7-11; John 21:17, Eph 4:11) How can we carry them?
4. What does it mean to follow Jesus? What life commitment must a disciple make? (Jn 12:26; Ro 1:5, 17) What vital lessons should disciples learn during a lifetime in and with Christ? (Mt 11:30; Php 2:5-8; Jn 6:68)
5. What are the results of following Jesus as his disciple? (Mt 10:25a, Ro 8:29; Jn 15:5, 8, 16) What are the fruits of a disciples that will last inside and outside? (Gal 6:22-23. Mt 28:18-20) How was the evidence of the first century followers of Christ? (1 Co 4:16; 2 Ti 3:10; 1Pe 5:1-3)