THE PURPOSE AND MEANING OF BEING WITH JESUS
OT Passage: Exodus 29:35-46; NT Passage: John 14:15-27
Key Verse: John 14:23
“Jesus replied, ‘Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.’”
1. After bringing the Israelites out of slavery in Egypt, what was God’s purpose in instructing them to build a tabernacle and institute the priesthood and its rituals (Ex 25:8, 29:46)?
2. What is the Biblical condition for God to dwell with people? (Ps 24:3-4; Lev 11:45) How does the gospel make this possible for us (Heb 10:11-14)? What is the result of dwelling with God (Ps 84:10; Rev 21:3-4)?
3. How is God’s desire to be with his people expressed in Jesus’ discipleship ministry (Mk 3:14-15)? What did Jesus do after training his disciples?
4. When Jesus was preparing his disciples for his death, how did he reassure them that he would still be with them (Jn 14:18, 23)? What does this tell us about how we can be with Jesus today? What does being-with-Jesus equip us to do (Jn 15:26-27)?
5. Why is the church so important for fulfilling God’s desire to live among his people (1Pe 2:4-5; Eph 4:11-13)? What does this tell us about the context of discipleship in the church?