BE WITH HIM AND BE SENT OUT TO PREACH
(Calling and Finding New Life Direction)
Mark 1:14-20; 3:13-19, Key Verse: 3:13,14
“Jesus went up on a mountainside and called to him those he wanted, and they came to him. He appointed twelve that they might be with him and that he might send them out to preach….”
I. The Calling (1:14-20)
1. What was the political and spiritual situation at that time (14a)? What did Jesus do in Galilee (14b)? What urgency and significance did Jesus’ proclamation have in the ensuing events (15)?
2. What did Jesus do in Galilee in response to the situation and his own message (16,17)? What was the response of the first disciples to Jesus’ calling (18)? Who else did Jesus see (19)? What did Jesus do and what was their response (20)?
3. Think about the necessity of the divine calling in the Old Testament (Ge 12:1; Ex 3:10; Jer 1:10). Why do we need the divine calling (Ecc 1:2; 2Ti 1:9)? What are similarities and differences between the calling in the OT and that of the NT (Jn 15:16)?
II. The Designation (3:13-19)
4. Where did Jesus go and what decisive action did he have (13)? What were the criteria and the purpose for Jesus’ calling (or designation) (13b-15)? How did this event become a world changer?
5. What kinds of people were the twelve selectees (16-19)? How did Jesus’ calling help them to live for something greater than themselves?