DEAD TO THE LAW; BELONGING TO CHRIST
Romans 7:1-25 Key Verse: 4
“So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God.”
1. To whom is Paul speaking (1)? Why is the law so important in Christian life?1 What terminates the law’s authority over a person? How is the law of marriage an example of this (2-3)?
2. Read verse 4. How are we set free from the authority of the law? To whom do we belong now, and for what purpose? What was the inevitable fruit of living under the law (5)? How can we now bear fruit for God (6)?
3. What new question did Paul ask and why (7a)? How does his answer explain the function of the law (7b-8; 3:20)? What illustration does he give (7b-10)? What did Paul conclude about the law (11-12)?
4. What brings death to us (13)? How did Paul explain the power of sin works in us through his personal struggle (14-20)? Why is this struggle necessary to promote our spiritual growth?
5. What inner conflict did Paul discover (21-23)? What was Paul’s desperate cry for help (24)? Who delivers us from our wretched condition (25a)? What did Paul conclude about himself (25b)? How does this help us come to Jesus?