UNITED WITH CHRIST FOR NEW LIFE
Romans 6:1-23, Key verse 4
“We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.”
1. What question did Paul ask and why (1; 5:20-21)? How did he answer and on what basis (2-4)? Read verse 4. What does baptism symbolize? When are we united with Christ, what happens? What is our sure hope (5)?
2. What impact does Jesus’ death and resurrection have on those who believe (6-9)? How did Paul summarize the meaning of Jesus’ death and resurrection (10)?
3. In light of Jesus’ death and resurrection, how should we count ourselves (11)? What attitude should we have toward sin (12-13a)? What should we do positively and what enables us to do so (13b-14)?
4. What question can arise for those who are under grace (15)? What warning does Paul give those who sin at random (16; Jn 8:34)? How have we been set free from the power of sin and become slaves of righteousness (17-18)?
5. What is the difference between being slaves to sin and slaves to righteousness (19-22)? What is the ultimate consequence of each (23)? Why do you think Paul uses the words “wages” and “gift”?
6. In this passage, what characteristics of sin can you find? What blessings come to those who are united with Christ?