Naomi and Ruth
Ruth 1:1-22, Key Verse 1:16
“But Ruth replied, ‘Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God.’”
1. Read verses 1-2. What do these verses teach about the family of Elimelek? About the times in which they lived (Jdg 21:25)? Who were the Moabites and what was their relation to Israel (Gen 19:37, Num 22:1-6)?
2. Read verses 3-5. How did this family fare in Moab? What was Naomi’s sorrowful situation after 10 years? How might she interpret these events before God?
3. Read verses 6-13. Why did Naomi decide to return to Judah? What did she say to her two daughters-in-law? What were her prayers for them? Was her advice reasonable for them? What does this show about Naomi’s character?
4. Read verses 14-18. What did the two girls do? What did Ruth say? What does this show about her faith and her humanity?
5. Read verses 19-22. How was Naomi welcomed? What is her confession? What does this say about her view of life? What was the one bright spot in her life?