THE RESURRECTION OF JESUS
Matthew 27:57-28:20, (K. V.: 28:6)
“He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay.”
1. What did Joseph do and why, and who witnessed it (57-61)? Why and how did the religious leaders secure the tomb (62-66)? Why is Jesus’ burial important?
2. Who went to the tomb, when and why (28:1)? What happened as they arrived (2-4)?
3. How did the angel address the women (5)? Read verse 6. How is this good news? What does “just as he said” tell us? What does “he has risen” mean to you? What task did the angel give the women and why is their testimony important (6b-7)?
4. What did the women do and who met them (8-9a)? How did they respond (9b)? What did Jesus say to them (10)? How does this show the grace, love and hope of the Risen Christ for his disciples?
5. How did the religious leaders respond to the guards’ report (11-15)? Why did they and the guards suppress the truth? What do we learn here?
6. Where did the eleven disciples see Jesus and how did they respond (16-17)? What authority does Risen Jesus have (18)? What commission and promise did he give his disciples (19-20)? What hope and love does the Risen King have for the world?