THE CRUCIFIXION OF JESUS
Matthew 27:1-56, Key verse 46
“About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, ‘Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?’ (which means ‘My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?’)”
1. What plans did the religious leaders make, and why did they send Jesus to Pilate (1-2)? What did Judas do and why (3-5)? How was Scripture fulfilled (6-10)?
2. What question did Jesus answer and to what did he give no replies, and why (11-14)? How and why did Pilate try to release Jesus (15-23)? What did Pilate finally do, and who was responsible (20-26)?
3. What did the governor’s soldiers do to Jesus and why (27-31)? Why might Simon need to carry Jesus’ cross (32-33)? What happened at Golgotha (34-36)? What did the written charge against him mean (37)?
4. How and by whom was crucified Jesus insulted and mocked (38-44)? Why didn’t Jesus save himself (1:21; 26:53-54; 1Pe 2:23-24)?
5. What happened at noon (45)? Read verse 46. What did Jesus loudly cry out (Ps 22:1,7-8,18)? What does his cry mean for us (Isa 53:5-6; 2Co 5:21)? How did those nearby misunderstand Jesus’ cry (47-49)?
6. What happened when Jesus died (50-53)? What is meant by the temple curtain being torn in two (1Ti 2:5; Heb 10:19-20)? What was the centurion’s testimony and those with him (54)? Who else were witnesses of Jesus’ death (55-56)?