YET NOT AS I WILL, BUT AS YOU WILL
Matthew 26:31-75, Key Verse: 26:39
“Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, ‘My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.’”
1. Based on Scripture, what did Jesus say to his disciples and why (31)? What promise did he give them (32)? How did Peter (and all the other disciples) respond, and what did Jesus prophesy (33-35)?
2. In Gethsemane, what did Jesus say to his disciples and why (36-38)? Read verse 39. How did Jesus pray and what did he pray for (42,44)? What is “the cup” he struggled to take? What did he resolve to do and why?
3. What were the disciples doing while Jesus was praying and why (40,43,45a)? Why did Jesus tell his disciples to pray (41)? What was Jesus ready to face (45-46)?
4. How did Judas betray Jesus and to whom (47-50)? Why did one of the disciples wield the sword and why did Jesus stop him (51-54)? How did Jesus understand these events and what did the disciples do (55-56)?
5. Where was Jesus taken and why did Peter follow him at a distance (57-58)? What was Jesus accused of, and why did he remain silent (59-63a)? What charge under oath did Jesus finally answer and why (64)? What happened as a result (65-68)?
6. How did Peter disown Jesus three times, and why (69-74)? What did Peter remember and do (75)? How are you like Peter? What do you learn about Jesus in this passage?