THE CHURCH EARNESTLY PRAYS, AND GOD ANSWERS
Key Verse: 12:5
“So Peter was kept in prison, but the church was earnestly praying to God for him.”
1. Read verses 1-5. What was the time and place of these events? How did King Herod intensify his persecution of the church? What was Herod’s intention and what did the believers do?
2. Read verses 6-11. What was Peter’s situation in prison? What does this show about him and about Herod? How did God rescue Peter? When and how did he realize what was happening?
3. Read verses 12-19a. Where did Peter go? What were the believers doing? What happened when Peter arrived?
4. What does this event show about the church, about God and about prayer? What was Herod’s reaction?
5. Read verses 19b-23. Where did Herod go? With whom did he have an audience? What did the people of Tyre and Sidon want? What happened to Herod? Why? Contrast Herod and Peter.
6. Read verses 24-25. What do these verses tell us about the spread of the word of God and of the Christian church? (See also 6:7; 9:31; 16:5; 19:20; 28:31) What can we learn from this?