THE WORD BECAME FLESH
Key Verse: 1:14
“The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.”
1. What does the phrase “In the beginning” tell us about the Word? (1a; Gen 1:1) With whom was the Word? (1b) Who is the Word? (1c,2,14) Think about the glory that he had with God before the world began (Jn 17:5).
2. How is the Word related to the creation? (3; Col 1:16) What is the personal significance for us of Jesus’ relationship to Creator God? Who is the author of life, and to whom does life belong? (4a) What is the function of this life? (4b-5a) What is our assurance of victory over the darkness? (5b)
3. What was the purpose of John’s coming into the world? (6-8) Why do people need a witness who can testify concerning the light? Who is the true light? (9) Why is Jesus the true light?
4. How did the world, and God’s chosen people, respond to Jesus? (10-11) Why were these responses unreasonable? What does God promise to those who believe in Jesus? (12-13)
5. Read verse 14. Who is Jesus and what did he give up to come and live among us? (Php 2:6-8) How does his coming and life in the world reveal “grace” and “truth”?
6. How does John the Baptist’s testimony reveal Jesus’ eternity? (15) How is what Jesus gives us different from what Moses gives us? (16-17) How does Jesus reflect God? (18; 14:8-11)