Faith That Shows
1 Thessalonians 1:1-10, Key Verse: 1:3
“We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.”
1. What visible fruits of the Thessalonians’ faith did Paul praise in verse 3? What were the underlying graces that motivated them? Discuss how each of these graces can produce the visible result mentioned.
2. Read verses 4-5. What was the evidence that God had chosen the believers at Thessalonica? What does this teach about the nature of the gospel and the goal of evangelism?
3. Why does Paul mention the great suffering that accompanied the gospel work in Thessalonica (v. 6; see Acts 17:1-9)?
4. Look at verses 7-9a. Why did Paul not need to tell others about the Thessalonians’ faith? What does this chapter teach about the importance of providing an example of Christian life? (5b, 6a, 7a)
5. Look at verses 9b-10. How does Paul summarize the change that had occurred in the believers’ lives? How has this change been revealed in your life?