GOD KEEPS HIS PROMISE
Genesis 20:1-21:34, Key Verse: 21:1
“Now the Lord was gracious to Sarah as he had said, and the Lord did for Sarah what he had promised.”
1. After the destruction of Sodom, where did Abraham go? Who was Abimelek? How did Abraham lie to him? What was the excuse he made? (20:11-12) How did Abimelek respond to God’s warning? How had Abraham misjudged him? What might Abraham have learned from this experience (17)?
2. Read 21:1-7. How does the writer emphasize God’s faithfulness to keep his promises? How did the birth of Isaac affect Abraham and Sarah? Why did Abraham circumcise his son?
3. Read 21:8-13. How might Ishmael have felt about the baby Isaac? What did Sarah tell Abraham to do? Why did this distress Abraham so much? What was God’s direction and promise? How did Abraham obey? Why was this necessary?
4. Read 21:14-20. How did God show his care for Hagar and Ishmael? How does this relate to God’s promise to Abraham? What did Hagar learn about God?
5. Read 21:22-34. Why did Abimelek come to Abraham? What did he now realize about Abraham (21:22)? How did Abraham behave differently in this second encounter with Abimelech (21:25, 27)? How can we account for this change in Abraham and Abimelek’s relationship?