JESUS WAS TRIED AND CONDEMNED IN OUR PLACE
Mark 14:53-15:15 Key Verses: 14:61b-62
“Again the high priest asked him, ‘Are you the Messiah, the Son of the Blessed One?’ ‘I am,’ said Jesus. ‘And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.’”
1. Where was Jesus taken and who was there (53-55a)? What verdict did the Sanhedrin have in mind and how did they try to justify it (55b-59)? What does Jesus’ silence in response to the false charges reveal about him (60-61a; Isa 53:7)?
2. Read 14:61b-62. What motivated the high priest’s question? How did Jesus reveal his identity and prophetic judgment (12:36; Rev 1:7)? What hope can we find here (13:26-27)? How did the Sanhedrin respond (63-65)?
3. In contrast to Jesus, how did Peter respond to questioning (66-71)? Why did he deny being with Jesus? What happened when the rooster crowed twice (72)? What does Peter’s weeping teach us about him and about Jesus’ words (14:30)?
4. What plans did the Sanhedrin make and why were they necessary (15:1; Jn 18:31)? What does “king of the Jews” mean (2a)? Why did Jesus answer as he did (2b)? What amazed Pilate (3-5)? What does this show about Jesus?
5. What custom did Pilate try to use to release Jesus and why (6-10)? Why did Pilate fail to release Jesus (11-14)? What was Pilate’s decision (15)? What does Jesus’ trial and condemnation mean to us (1Pe 2:22-24; Ac 2:23-24; Ro 8:1)?