ESUS’ BLOOD OF THE COVENANT
Mark 14:1-26 Key Verse: 14:24
“This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many,” he said to them.
1. As the special festival was approaching, what were the religious leaders plotting (1-2)? What unusual thing did a woman do to Jesus (3)? Why were some indignant (4-5)? Contrast their view of Jesus with that of the woman.
2. How did Jesus defend the woman (6)? In what sense was her action beautiful (7-8)? How did Jesus honor her (9)? What might have motivated Judas Iscariot, one of the Twelve, to betray Jesus (10-11)?
3. In view of Israel’s history, why was this Passover so important (12; Ex 12:1-14; Jn 1:29; 1Co 5:7)? How did Jesus and his disciples prepare to celebrate it (13-16)?
4. What serious problem did Jesus bring up during the Passover meal and why (17-20)? How did Jesus want his disciples to understand Judas’ betrayal and his own death (21a)? How was this a warning to Judas Iscariot (21b)?
5. During the meal, how did Jesus explain the meaning of the bread and the cup (22-23; Jn 6:35,53-57)? Read verse 24. What do Jesus’ words, “my blood of the covenant” signify to us (Jer 31:31-34; Heb 9:14-15)? What hope does this give (25-26)?