HOW TO INHERIT ETERNAL LIFE
Mark 10:17-31 Key Verse: 10:21
“Jesus looked at him and loved him. ‘One thing you lack,’ he said. ‘Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.’”
1. What kind of man came to Jesus (17,22; Lk 18:18) What do his attitude toward Jesus and his question reveal about him? Why did Jesus correct his concept of good (18)? How (19)? What should he learn from the second part of the Ten Commandments?
2. What did the man’s answer show about him (20)? Read verse 21. How did Jesus, out of love, help this man see his problem? What is “treasure in heaven” (Mt 6:20-21,24; 1 Ti 6:17-19)? What does “follow me” imply, and how is it related to his question?
3. What decision did the man make (22)? Why was he sad? What was Jesus’ warning to his disciples (23-24)? Why were they amazed? What does verse 25 mean?
4. Why were they even more amazed (26)? What does Jesus’ answer teach about salvation (27; Eph 2:8-9)?
5. How did Jesus’ teaching encourage Peter (28)? What did Jesus promise those who follow him (29-30)? Why does he mention persecution, and what warning did he give (31)? How does Jesus’ promise give us hope and courage to follow him?